Foreigners for whom registration is required
The foreigners who are holding following categories/criteria of visas are required to be registered:
- All foreigners visiting India on a student visa, research visa, employment visa and missionary visa that hold a visa for a period of more than 180 days. This includes persons of Indian origin and those who come to study Yoga, Vedic culture, or the Indian system of dance and music. This registration is required irrespective of whether or not they intend to stay in India for more than 180 days or fewer than 180 days (i.e., the deciding factor is the period for which the visa has been granted and not the actual stay).
- Such persons are required to register with the Foreigner's Registration Office, Gurgaon within 14 days of their first arrival in India if they hold a visa for a period of more than 180 days. Such types of visas will be stamped " Registration required within 14 days of arrival in India".
- Foreigners coming to India on a medical visa (M) or medical attendant (MX) are required to register within 14 days of arrival, irrespective of the duration of the stay.
- Pakistani Nationals: Pakistan nationals are required to register at the check post of entry into India. They must hand over one copy of the visa application form given to them by the Indian Mission Abroad while granting visa to the immigration authorities at the check post of entry, who will hand over the Residential Permit to the Pak national. The Pak national must carry the Residential Permit with him/her to each place of stay for the purpose of police reporting. This Residential Permit must be surrendered to the Immigration Authorities at the check post of exit at the time of departure. Further, except those who are granted visa with the endorsement "Exempted from Police Reporting" (EPR Visa). Pak nationals entering India on a police reporting visa (PRV) must also report their arrival and intended departure at each place of stay as permitted in the visa within 24 hours at the nearest police station.
- Afghan Nationals: All Afghan nationals are required to register with the concerned Foreigners Registration Office within 14 days of arrival in India, irrespective of the validity of their visa.
- Bangladesh Nationals: Citizens of Bangladesh are exempted from registration for up to 180 days. If their stay exceeds 180 days, they must register themselves.
It may be noted that failure to register within the stipulated time, as mentioned above, is a contravention of the prescribed rules and would invite appropriate punitive action.